The Abilene Woman’s Club was founded in 1928, joining the national movement begun in the late 1860’s of women organizing clubs to improve their communities and their own intellectual development.

The club had several homes before hiring noted architect, David Castle, to design the current clubhouse on south 14th Street. Contractor Oscar Rose completed the current structure in 1955, influencing further development of South Abilene. With numerous meeting spaces and a Great Hall, the clubhouse serves many cultural events, civic organizations and programs.

The building’s architecture is a beautiful example of post World War II colonial revival design and was listed as a Texas Historic Landmark in 2005.